Encouraged by tweets and blog posts by Tracey Clark and Ali Edwards, I joined Reverb10.

Why? What really got me was the tagline that reads: “reflect on this year & manifest what’s next.” Manifest what's next. SOLD. Count me in.

For the month of December, this will be my home away from home, a little borrowed space on the www to participate in what promises to be an enlightening journey. Join me?


10 December 2010

day nine | party

prompt: party
What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
(Author: Shauna Reid)

I am not much of a party person. It took me a while to wrap my brain around the whole idea of this prompt. I pondered this for the better part of Thursday and when I had it all in my head realized I was running late for Cole's hockey game. So, instead of being late for that, I'm late for this!

It may be cliche, but the best party of the past year was the Vancouver Olympics held in February. It was the one event where my country put it's best on display, for everyone to see. From the slam poem read by the poet to open the games, to our first gold, to to the only gold that mattered in the collective consciousness of our country - the hockey gold, it was the most upbeat, positive, inspirational couple of weeks I've ever experienced. Canadians are often the quiet cousins to their more rambunctious American cousins - according to WikiLeaks we suffer a collective inferiority complex. I was so happy to see my country wear it's patriotism proudly with our red maple leaf mittens, enthusiastic beer consumption, and flag waving,

The television coverage was fantastic and though the event happened 4,400 kilometres away from my living room, I felt like I was involved in the whole experience. I don't know that I'll ever have an opportunity to experience such a spectacle again. I'm glad I took the time, and encouraged my kids to join me, in watching Olympic coverage 24/7 and participate in the best Canadian party this year :)

1 comment:

  1. The Sydney Olympics were exactly the same sort of feeling for us - it was a complete party mode environment for about a month!

    Your reference to WikiLeaks has amused me ... needless to say, Julian Assange and his publishing site is receiving a lot of press at the moment!

    ReplyDelete