Encouraged by tweets and blog posts by Tracey Clark and Ali Edwards, I joined Reverb10.

Why? What really got me was the tagline that reads: “reflect on this year & manifest what’s next.” Manifest what's next. SOLD. Count me in.

For the month of December, this will be my home away from home, a little borrowed space on the www to participate in what promises to be an enlightening journey. Join me?


07 December 2010

day seven | community

prompt: community
Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?
(Author: Cali Harris)

[WARNING: when I read this prompt my brain was accosted - yes, accosted - with words, lots and lots and lots of words. My heart was overwhelmed with emotion. There is only one other word, of which I have no doubt will make it's presence known by the end of the month, fills me with such fear ... and vocabulary. I can only hope that the words make sense because even after writing what you read below, my brain is immersed in word and emotion soup.]

I have to say the communities in which I find the greatest challenge, understanding, acceptance and inspiration are on-line. The www can be so engaging and open with clear labels and expectation while simultaneously being so insular which greatly appeals to my inner introvert - hell, it greatly appeals to my outer introvert! I appreciate that I can engage without interrupting anyone - like a ringing phone or even a text - to give and take what I need and move on without any real intrusion on anyone. It appeals to my need for more, my need for efficient answers to my curiosity, which becomes more and more insatiable with the more exposure I have to such stimulating groups and ideas. I stay in these communities (blogs + creative collectives) as long as I contribute my ideas and creativity in a positive manner and receive inspiration in kind.

I continue to be involved in the local minor hockey community by virtue of having a husband on the local board and two sons on hockey teams - one at the rep level and the other at the house league level. They all bring their own set of diverse challenges. When sitting down with a girlfriend the other day we marvelled at how we would never have known each other if our boys hadn't had a mutual love for the game. Those within the hockey community who are friends tend to be like me: we have no personal ambition, we have driven children and are accepting of those who do not share our outlook. Though I have to admit I have no time and little patience for selfish or ambitious parents.

The one community in which I would like to more deeply connect would be my friends - those local ladies who challenge and inspire me. Not often enough! Our lives get in the way. You know, in that way you figure that since you are all local you'll find time to get together ... and don't. That small group of half dozen or so women who bring joy to me whether they mean to or not! I have high hopes that next year will bring greater engagement. I've learned some really great lessons in the last couple of years and I have these women to thank. I'd like to do just that this year!

I have three pretty distinct communities in which I'm involved. Daily. They all feed a different aspect of my life. I so greatly appreciate each one of them. Every day I am grateful for each community.

1 comment:

  1. I like your soup. More please!

    Your observations about online communities were quite sharp. I like that.

    ReplyDelete