Encouraged by tweets and blog posts by Tracey Clark and Ali Edwards, I joined Reverb10.

Why? What really got me was the tagline that reads: “reflect on this year & manifest what’s next.” Manifest what's next. SOLD. Count me in.

For the month of December, this will be my home away from home, a little borrowed space on the www to participate in what promises to be an enlightening journey. Join me?


08 December 2010

day eight | beautifully different

prompt: beautifully different
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.
(Author: Karen Walrond)

Recently Karen asked a similar question on her blog - or was it twitter? or facebook? and I was stumped for a response. I am still stumped! Why?

I find myself to be so completely, more often than not, normal and *gasp* boring. I think that is why I can appreciate and embrace the brilliance of others so readily without any sense of competition or jealousy. I recognize the talent of others and though I cannot necessarily emulate them, I can take the lessons they teach and incorporate them. More often than not, the really special creatives, have been able to weave themselves right into the fabric of my soul. Through them, I look at the world differently now: bright eyes, clear heart, much enthusiasm.

All that being said, I am not a complete doormat or sponge. I have very definite opinions especially when it comes to my children. With and for my kids the only thing I am is fierce. I am the furthest thing from the increasingly popular stage mum or helicopter parent which seems to be acceptable and encouraged. I let my kids make decisions, make mistakes and guide them in their choices and pick them up, dust them off and send them back out to the world. I know they'll be knocked down regularly, it's my job to prepare them. Not prevent the knocks, but teach them how to deal with them when they come. And they will come.

Other things that come to mind?
  • I'm a plus size in a single digit community, not easy some days
  • I laugh at myself, regularly
  • I am insatiably curious and love learning, thank goodness for the www
  • I cannot stand anything sticky on my hands, not helpful when I want to try mixed media canvases!
  • Rainy days and fog make me happy
  • I've received many compliments on my laugh - it is big, loud, and genuine
  • Tact is not a trait for which I have ever been accused
  • I love distant sounds: train whistles, buoys on the waves, streetcar bells
  • I have no problem being in the minority - after all, being right has nothing to do with being in the majority, right?
  • I enjoy folding laundry but hate putting it away
  • I dance, every day
  • I sing, too
Hmm, maybe I am bit different after all. Beautiful or not, I'm certainly me, with no effort to be anyone else, every day.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous list of things that make you unique. I also get a tingle of excitement when I hear distant noises. I wish I shared your love for folding laundry - mine tends to sit around for ages until we are running out of clothes and I'm spurred into action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, but Lee, you ARE beautiful woman! Everything about the way you speak of your children and your parenting style and the things you love just glows with the beauty of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me? Even going by this truncated list, you sound wonderful. And this: "I have no problem being in the minority - after all, being right has nothing to do with being in the majority, right?" made my day.

    ReplyDelete