Encouraged by tweets and blog posts by Tracey Clark and Ali Edwards, I joined Reverb10.

Why? What really got me was the tagline that reads: “reflect on this year & manifest what’s next.” Manifest what's next. SOLD. Count me in.

For the month of December, this will be my home away from home, a little borrowed space on the www to participate in what promises to be an enlightening journey. Join me?


02 December 2010

day two | writing

prompt: writing
What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

+ + + + +

As a mum to four active kids, I have learned how to streamline and focus my free time to be as productive as possible even when I am engaged in the mundane mama-chores of life: laundry, cooking, cleaning and chauffeuring.

With the exception of laundry and food prep there is always an opportunity to contribute to my writing. If, by contribution, you don't have to be physically putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. When I'm not typing or holding a pen, I am observing the activities around me. Simple absorbing my surroundings - from the high energy of sports to the simple and quiet moments of homework and reading.

So, no, I cannot eliminate cooking and laundry - though I have managed to teach my kids both skills so even that has been reduced in order to afford me more time to indulge in my need to write.

To make productive use of any down time, I rarely leave home without a little portable Moleskine book and pen and I always have my camera in tow.

People are fascinating and I have plenty of opportunity to observe: when I'm in the parking lot waiting for my kids to exit school; at the rink before, during and after a hockey game; at school events and choir gatherings.  My little book is filled with descriptions of people and their behaviour, snippets of conversations, simple observations of interaction. There is always an opportunity to let your imagination wander and make up a character study about the behaviour of strangers. One of my most favourite exercises.

Things come in a close second when it comes to recording detail, vivid detail of nature, colour, purpose, tradition, values, texture. This is when the camera really comes in handy as a memory jog.

Over the last six months, I have become completely obsessed with writing and creating. I find myself in a weird, somewhat disengaged place, where I am in a constant state of observe as opposed to my regular state of engaged. It is part of the FOCUS piece. Putting all of the observations and plans together. Nothing has been done with it, but my head is filled with disjointed and vivid bits of observations and ideas.

I'm looking forward to what I do with it all!

2 comments:

  1. yes. exactly. it all contributes - you have to juggle some balls (in your case, many!) but it all contributes. love this.

    thanks for dropping by my blog & for the 2 thumbs up. :)

    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this exercis too. something i learned at a very young age in acting classes...it's often fascinating. i love to get places early, simply so i can sit and people watch... loving your updates!

    ReplyDelete